This Crispy Air Fryer Crab Rangoon with cream cheese turns out so incredibly crunchy on the outside, and soft & creamy on the inside. Gather these simple ingredients, and let's make this addicting crab appetizer, plus learn how to reheat crab rangoon in the air fryer!
This recipe is packed with this sweet shellfish - ensuring you taste them in every bite! With a little squeeze of fresh lemon, a grating of fresh garlic, and a sprinkle of fresh parsley - turns this classic dish into my Mediterranean palette!
This incredible seafood appetizer makes over 24 servings!
Now, I do love crab recipes. But, creamy with a crunch? Take my money!
Crab Rangoons, aka crab puffs (as some call them) are one of my favorite crunchy seafood appetizer. My other favorite is Hot Crab Spinach and Artichoke Dip, it's absolutely cheesy, creamy, seafood goodness! I love adding this sweet crustacean to main dishes, like this out of this world light and fresh crab pasta with tomato and lemon garlic sauce, Dungeness crab boil, and of course this dreamy Crab Omelet!
WHAT KIND OF CRAB TO USE FOR RANGOONS
Though most restaurants make this recipe using imitation crab meat, I always prefer to use fresh since we catch it often during season, I'm using Dungeness crab for this recipe. You can it fresh in most grocery stores, even at Costco, and local fish markets.
Plus it's much healthier and it tastes better to use fresh. If you don't have Dungeness nearby, substitute for any species you have locally!
WHAT'S IN THE FILLING
The filling is so darn good that I could eat it by itself, but add a crunchy crust (thanks to the air fryer) and I'm sold!
The filling consists of fresh crab meat, cream cheese, green onion, fresh parsley, just enough garlic, lemon, soy sauce, and a little bit of sugar.
Using a 50/50 ratio of seafood to cream cheese, in these air fryer crab wontons is SO important to get enough seafood flavor.
- wonton wrappers. these are usually in the refrigerated section near the tofu. There are different size packages in the store. I got a fairly large package and ended up making wonton chips with the rest.
- cream cheese. A block of cream cheese is best to use for this recipe. Use what you typically buy.
- crab meat. If you don't have fresh Dungeness crab, a good substitution is to use any species that is local to you. We live on the Pacific Coast, so we typically go for our favorite; Dungeness! I haven't yet tried this recipe with imitation, but if that's all you have available in store - give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.
- green onion. Use both the green and the white part.
- fresh minced garlic. To create the best and strongest garlic flavor. I find that you need to use significantly more for store-bought minced garlic. TIP: You can mince garlic using a grater!
- lemon juice. Fresh squeezed is best!
- soy sauce. if you prefer low sodium use that, otherwise I'd stick with full salt since I don't add extra salt to this recipe.
EQUIPMENT YOU'LL NEED
- Air Fryer This one is my absolute favorite.
- Cast Iron. Linked here. (if you plan to deep fry).
- Spider Strainer. Linked here.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- Wire Rack.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CRAB RANGOON (step-by-step)
Though, traditionally these are deep fried - cooking them in the Air Fryer is just as scrumptious and so much healthier.
I absolutely love using my Ninja Foodi air fryer for this recipe. It's also the perfect way to reheat crab rangoon.
Making them in the air fryer is super easy, here's a step-by-step:
Gather wontons and the ingredients for the filling and mix together in a medium bowl.
To wrap the wontons
After placing a couple of teaspoons of the crab filling, and wet the edges of the wonton wrapper with water. Hold two opposite sides and push them together to seal. Then pick up the third side and push with the other two, then repeat with the last side, to seal completely.
Spray each Rangoon with oil.
Air Fryer Temp
Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees F.
How Long To Heat
Cook for about 6-7 minutes, until golden. how long to cook rangoon in air fryer can vary based on your air fryer. So, adjust a minute or two as needed.
HOW TO REHEAT CRAB RANGOON IN THE AIR FRYER
You can reheat in the microwave or in the Air Fryer! Though the best way to reheat rangoon is in the air fryer. They come out just as crispy as before. You wouldn't be able to tell they weren't freshly made!
How to reheat in the Air fryer: Preheat air fryer to 350F. Place the wonton rangoon pieces directly in the basket and heat for about 5 minutes, or until they're crispy again.
How to reheat in the microwave: Place on a plate and warm for about a minute or two.
Place any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days after it's been cooked. Reheating instructions are below.
The wrappers used are Wonton wrappers. This gives them the satisfying crunch that makes everyone go in for more. If you ever wondered why crab rangoons are so popular, it's because of how crunchy they are! Find these wonton wrappers in most grocery stores refrigerated near Tofu.
Yes! Freeze them individually uncooked. Lay on a baking sheet to flash freeze then toss in a ziploc bag.
My husband asked if they were good one day when I mentioned I'm making them as part of our dinner that evening. We had a successful crabbing trip that morning and I couldn't wait to come up with more fun ways to eat the crab we catch.
We typically enjoy it as plain as possible, since it's one of our absolute favorite seafood, but I was craving a crunch that day! Because we don't typically fry it I wanted to make sure to have enough crab in my filling, so I went for it. I couldn't be happier with the result!
So are rangoons good? Yes, when you have enough seafood in the filling, they are addicting! And, this recipe will not disappoint. The more seafood in the mixture the better!
MORE AIR FRYER SEAFOOD RECIPES
MORE CRAB RECIPES
We're a seafood blog, so we're full of yummy fish and shellfish recipes.
- Crab Omelet
- For a spaghetti fix, you've got to try this light Crab Pasta without cream in sight!
- Super Easy Crab Boil
- Seafood Boil
- Creamy Crab Pizza
- Fresh Crab Tacos
- And, if you're working with fresh crab, here's the best and easiest way to cook crab.
Crispy Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
- Air fryer (I used a Ninja Foodi)
- 1 12oz package wonton wrappers see notes on where to find
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 8 oz crab meat Approx. ½ whole Dungeness, or other species of crab.
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
- a few tablespoons of water in a small bowl for wrapping wontons
- In a medium bowl combine all rangoon filling ingredients.
- Remove one wonton wrapper at a time and cover the rest so they don't dry out. Place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of the wonton.
- Dip your finger in the water, and wet the edges of the wonton. Fold 2 opposite sides together. Bring in a third side and seal. Lastly sealing the last side with the rest to completely seal the wonton. Set aside on a plate and repeat filling and wrapping the wontons until the filling is done.
- Spray each rangoon with oil and air fry at 375 for 6-7 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Adjust a minute or two as needed depending on your Air fryer. See notes for the air fryer I used. Enjoy crab rangoon warm!
- Find Wonton Wrappers in the refrigerated section near the tofu.
- Don't have an air fryer? Make them the traditional route by frying! The pot should have about 3 inches of oil. Neutral oil options, avocado, vegetable, canola, etc.
- Helpful Tip: I like to place the rangoons on a wire rack so the bottoms don't get soggy.
- To reheat in the air fryer: preheat it to 350F and cook for about 5 minutes, until crispy again.
- My Air Fryer: Ninja Foodi.
- calories are only an estimate.
MORE SEAFOOD APPETIZERS
*As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. If you are so kind as to use the links I provide.