The best recipe for Air fryer frozen crab cakes that turns out just as juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside as freshly made cakes! Using this easy to follow air fryer recipe, you'll have a delicious appetizer in no time with no thawing necessary.
You'll want to pair them with my go-to homemade tartar sauce for a tasty treat.
Table of Contents
FROZEN CRAB CAKES IN AIR FRYER
I've made just about every seafood in the air fryer and have been on tv sharing my frozen air fryer fish recipe. My other go-to's are air fryer shrimp, air fryer halibut, and even opening oysters in the air fryer.
The air fryer is definitely my secret to a quick and healthy dinner for my family. No matter what I'm making, they always comes out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside when it's cooked at the right temperature and time. And you can feel rest assured that this frozen crab cakes in air fryer recipe is tested and perfected, so you can easily replicate it yourself.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
So, can you cook frozen crab cakes in air fryer? Yes, you absolutely can. They come out just as food as fresh!
- Tested to make it easy to replicate at home.
- No need to thaw for them to come out delicious. Cook crab cakes completely frozen!
- Tastes as good as if it was fresh!
- Ready in 12 minutes.
- Makes a delicious appetizer to share with no effort!
HOW TO COOK FROZEN CRAB CAKES IN AIR FRYER
First thing first, we’re going to need frozen crab cakes. Whether you’re working with homemade crab cakes, like I am, or have purchased them online or in store, you’re going to want to read these notes prior to cooking:
- Check if the cakes are relatively thick or flat. This will determine the amount of time to cook them for.
- Either way, make sure to check them 2 minutes prior to the end time, if they need more time, check every 2 minutes after that.
- There are a wide variety of brands that sell crab cakes like, Good catch, Dockside classics, and Phillips to name a few.
WHAT TEMPERATURE TO AIR FRY FROZEN CRAB CAKES
The best temperature to achieve a crispy crust while the inside remains juicy, is to set the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
Lay the frozen crab cakes on the basket, making sure not to overcrowd them.
Air fry them for about 12-14 minutes or until they reach 140 degrees F. It may take another minute or two depending on how many you’re cooking. Add more time as needed.
Allow them to cool slightly before enjoying with homemade tartar sauce!
- Lay the cakes on a single layer. Laying crab cakes on top of each other will prevent them from crisping up.
- Avoid over-crowding the basket. Overcrowding with affect the time needed to cook, be sure to increase as needed if you add more cakes.
- Check them at 10 minutes and adjust as needed. I've found that no crab cake is created equal, so you might need to add more time as needed.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To warm, place in the air fryer or microwave until completely warmed through. About a minute or minute and a half in the microwave, and 4-5 minutes in the air fryer at 350F.
The absolute best way to cook them is in the air fryer. The air fryer allows the inside to warm completely while the outside gets nice and crispy. Simply air fry the crab cakes at 350F for about 12 minutes, depending on the size and brand you may need more time. Adjust as needed.
No, you can air fry them frozen without thawing them. The air frying process will thaw and cook them simultaneously. However, if you prefer to thaw them first, you can do so by placing them in the refrigerator overnight.
Yes, I always recommend preheating the air fryer before cooking. Preheating helps ensure even cooking and crispiness. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for preheating your specific air fryer model.
It's not necessary to spray oil on the frozen crab cakes before air frying, as they usually have enough fat content to crisp up. However, if you prefer a crisper exterior, you can lightly spray the crab cakes with cooking spray or brush them with a small amount of oil or butter.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS RECIPE
Tartar sauce is a must with these crispy delicious cakes! You can whip up your own using my recipe, or buy your favorite. Otherwise, a fresh squeeze of lemon is a good alternative for added brightness.
- Appetizer: Some of the best appetizers to pair alongside are dips! Like this hot crab dip, oysters,
- Main Dish: Try this Fried Feta and Strawberry Salad or this refreshing Tabouli alongside.
- Dessert: For a light and easy dessert try this blueberry toast or this Lebanese Rice pudding.
- Drink: Pair this recipe with this Spicy Mango Margarita, blueberry lemon drop, or this light blueberry gin and tonic! Or try a dry white wine, like a Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc, or Viognier. Cheers!
MORE CRAB RECIPES
I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU! When you make this dish, please RATE using the ⭐️stars, and COMMENT at the end of the page. I love connecting with you in the comments section.
Make sure to share this recipe (there's an easy SHARE on FB button in the recipe card!) or post your picture on Instagram and tag @theperfecttide.
Air Fryer Frozen Crab Cakes
- Preheat air fryer to 350℉ for a few minutes.
- Place the frozen crab cakes on the air fryer basket.
- Cook the crab cakes for 12-14 minutes, until they're warmed through and crispy on the outside. If you're adding more than 2 large crab cakes, or several smaller ones, you may need to increase the time. The internal temperature should be warmed to 145℉.