Easy Air Fryer Frozen Fish is an absolute game changer! It's simple, fast and delicious. No need to thaw your fillet - this recipe goes from frozen to delicious in 10 minutes!
FROZEN FISH IN AIR FRYER
So, can you cook frozen fish in the air fryer? Yes, you absolutely can! And, it's so easy to do. The outcome is a juicy fish fillet with crispy edges. It's healthy, quick and my new best kept secret (I guess, not anymore!).
An appetizer, or kid-friendly version of this (though my kids love this one!) is fish fingers in air fryer, paired with an amazing homemade tartar sauce that completes dinner in 8 minutes tops!
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- EASY! If you're short on time and looking for a quick healthy meal straight from your freezer, turn to this Frozen Fish Fillet in Air Fryer recipe.
- QUICK! Your healthy fish meal will be done from start to finish in under 12 minutes.
- STRAIGHT FROM THE FREEZER! Doesn't that sound like a spectacular substitute to a frozen pizza, or other quick meals we grab from our freezers?
- SIMPLE! I love how simple this recipe is. As a busy mom, I need quick, healthy, easy recipes for my family. And, this fish in the air fryer recipe checks off all the boxes. once I discovered I didn't need to thaw frozen fish fillets, it changed my world!
The ingredients are minimal, and can be substituted for your favorites.
Use rock fish, like I did - or Black cod, Cod, Trout, Halibut. This Air Fryer Frozen Fish recipe uses 2 fillets. Keep in mind that no fillet is created equal, so keep a close eye on the temperature of your fish the last few minutes. Use your favorite fish, or if you've never tried rockfish, I highly recommend you give it a shot. They are one of the best, lesser known fish and so easy to work with.
To Coat the fish, you'll need:
Extra virgin olive oil. Just enough to coat the fillets to get a beautifully crisp fish and give it some flavor. And, don't worry the inside remains juicy. That's the best part of cooking fish while it's still frozen.
Fresh garlic. Freshly minced garlic gives the fish great flavor. If you prefer garlic powder, go for it. I typically use fresh garlic any chance I can, but in a rush powder does the trick.
Spices: Feel free to use onion powder, red pepper flakes, or substitute for any other spices you love. Dried parsley, thyme, or oregano would pair wonderfully as well.
Salt and Pepper, of course. Fish like their salt, so a couple sprinkles of each on every fillet will be necessary.
HOW TO COOK FROZEN FISH IN AIR FRYER
- First, in a small bowl mix the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes or any dried herb of your choosing. I love using dried parsley, or thyme as well.
- Coat the fish fillets on both sides with the oil mixture, and place them in a preheated Air Fryer to cook to perfection. Which doesn't typically take more than 10 minutes. Be sure to check the temperate! More details below.
- Add fresh squeezed lemon, extra salt and pepper if desired and pair with your favorite air fried veggie!
Pair this air fryer frozen fish with air fried veggies, such as carrots, parsnips, this air fryer butternut squash, green beans, asparagus or broccoli.
HOW LONG TO COOK FROZEN FISH IN AIR FRYER
Air fryer cook times will vary on the size of your fillet. Here are some notes to keep in mind:
- Type of fillet to use. I'm using rock fish fillets that we caught on a fishing charter, but any similar fillets will work. Other fish options are: cod, halibut, trout, lingcod, etc.
- Preheat the air fryer. It's best to cook the frozen fish in a preheated air fryer so it can cook evenly. I know how hard it is to wait - but it's worth it. Besides, this recipe is so easy that you'll have enough time to wait for a preheated air fryer.
- Temperature and Time. The recipe will be a good base to work off of, but of course, not all fillets are created equal. The best thing to do is to check for doneness when you flip the fillets halfway. This Air Fryer Frozen Fish recipe calls for the Air Fryer to be preheated to 390F and cooking the fillets for about 10-12 minutes. My rockfish fillets cooked perfectly in 10 minutes exactly.
- Check the temperature. Use a thermometer to check the temp of your fillets, once they reach 140F, they're ready to serve.
- This is my favorite air fryer that doubles as a grill - which is so handy in the winter!
HOW TO STORE & REHEAT
Store the fillets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
How to reheat:
When you're ready to enjoy the fish fillets again, pop them back in the air fryer at 390F for just a couple minutes.
Or enjoy them cold, on a salad. Or paired with this Lebanese Tabouli Salad.
Frozen fish fillets in air fryer can be doubled!
It's always nice to make more than you need so you can enjoy an easy fish meal another day, without needing to clean the air fryer again.
Air Frying your fish is fast, easy and always so scrumptious! This amazing kitchen gadget is a staple when cooking fish. There are a couple tips to successfully air frying fish, which are to coat your fillets with a simple oil and spice rub. Second, is be sure to only cook once your air fryer is preheated, in order for the fillet to cook evenly and at the right temperature.
It's absolutely ok to cook frozen fish, just as you would thawed. In fact, they come out juicy and flaky with crispy edges. Cooking frozen fish is a well kept secret to an easy healthy dinner, straight from the freezer. Be sure to cook the fish completely. The internal temperate should read at read 140F before removing the fish.
Yes! It's always best to flip your fish fillets when cooking in the air fryer to cook evenly on each side. One side seems to always end up stronger than the other, so flipping it halfway ensures both sides of your fish get the same opportunity to cook to perfection. Otherwise, you'll be left with a half crispy, half soft fillet.
No thawing is needed in this recipe. Cook the fish in the air fryer while it's still completely frozen. It takes just under 12 minutes, and don't forget to flip it halfway.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FROZEN FISH IN AIR FRYER
- Appetizer: Butternut Squash in the Air Fryer is a wonderful side to enjoy with seafood, and easy to whip up prior to your fish. This Rosemary Parmesan Bread is moist and flavorful, and a no-knead bread recipe that would be a great pairing.
- Side Dish: Try this Fried Feta and Strawberry Salad alongside! To make things easier, you can make the fried feta in the air fryer as well. This salad is crispy, juicy, tangy and sweet. It's one of my favorite salads to pair with seafood, when the flavors align.
- Drink: Pair this recipe with this Spicy Mango Margarita! Or try a dry white wine, like a Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc, or Viognier. Cheers!
MORE AIR FRYER SEAFOOD RECIPES
I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU! When you make this Air Fryer dish, please RATE using the stars in the recipe card, and COMMENT at the end of the page how you enjoyed this dish.
BONUS: Share this Easy Air Fryer Frozen Fish with others (there's an easy SHARE on FB button in the recipe card!).
Easy Air Fryer Frozen Fish
- Preheat the Air fryer to 390F.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, garlic, spices, and olive oil. Coat both sides of the frozen fish fillets with half of the mixture, and cook in the air fryer until the internal temp reaches 140F, roughly 10 minutes. Flip halfway.
- Plate the fish to serve, then drizzle the rest of the garlic oil.